Professional Certification (CTLE)

news flash

 August, 2016


CTLE Chart

CTLE – Professional Development Requirements for Teacher Certification

NYSUT has prepared a wealth of information regarding the new CTLE requirements as outlined in the above chart. I’ve included some of the information here.

  1. Click the link to read 10 things you need to know about CTLE:  CTLE Regs
  2. Click the link for information about :   How to Register on TEACH
  3. Click the link    NYSED Registration Table

For more information visit the NYSUT Certification website


October, 2015
Professional Development Requirements for Teacher Certification Are Changing

The 100 hour requirement goes into effect on July 1, 2016. For those whose 5 year term ends prior to that, you still need to meet the 175 hour requirement. The State is not yet sure how the change from 175 to 100 hours will be calculated for those who are in the middle of their 5 year term after July 1, 2016.

SED is hoping to have a plan for the certificate registration process to the Board of Regents in December at the latest, and its plan for the Continuing Teacher & Leader Education (CTLE) requirements to the Regents in January.  Note that CTLE is the new acronym – it will replace PD.   These two plans are inter-linked as the law indicates that the certificate registration cycle will be the trigger for the CTLE cycle.

So we are most likely looking at February 2016 for a more detailed plan as to how this will work.  SED will post information on this on the Office of Teaching Initiatives web page,, and NYSUT will have information on this at

Above Information is as of October, 2015


Changes in Teacher Certification

In November 2013 the Board of Regents approved two changes to current certification practice.  The first change impacts the effective date that is reflected on SED’s TEACH certification system and printed on members’ certificates.  The effective date used to be either September 1 or February 1.  Now, the effective date will reflect the actual date that SED has determined that an applicant for certification has met the requirements for said certificate.  SED will continue, however, to use the September 1 or February 1 after the effective date for purposes of certificate expiration dates or for calculating time extensions for certificates. 
The second change concerns individuals who hold the older provisional/permanent certificate titles.  Currently, a person who was issued a provisional teaching certificate and completed the requirements for the permanent certificate during the time the provisional was valid, even though the provisional has expired, can still apply and be issued a permanent certificate. This practice will end as of October 1, 2014.

When you apply, be certain to choose Nassau BOCES to evaluate your application. If you do not, they will be unable to access your records.

Take content tests now: NEW CONTENT TESTS ON THE HORIZON!!! NYS is working with Stanford University to increase the rigor of the content tests.

Getting Married? DON’T CHANGE YOUR NAME until all of your paperwork is done and approved

Especially for excessed teachers
The following are two paragraphs from the NYSUT Fact sheet linked to below that I felt many of you need to be aware of:

What type of professional development is acceptable?
For individuals employed in a public school or Board of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES), the district’s professional development plan (PDP) identifies acceptable professional development. For individuals employed in nonpublic schools or not regularly employed, professional development must be in the content area of the certificate or in pedagogy related to the certificate.

Can the professional development requirement be reduced or adjusted?
Yes. It can be reduced by 10% for each professional development year an individual is not regularly employed by a public school or BOCES. In addition, the hours can be adjusted for good cause upon request to the State Education Department (SED) including, but not be limited to, any of the following reasons: poor health certified by a physician; or a specific physical or mental disability certified by an appropriate health care professional; or extended active duty with the Armed Forces of the United States; or extreme hardship which, in the judgment of SED, makes it impossible for the professional certificate holder to comply with the professional development requirements in a timely manner; or for a certificate holder who is regularly employed by a public school or BOCES, inability to complete the requirement because of the failure of the school to adopt and implement a professional development plan.

NYS Ed Links for PD:

175 Hour NYS Suggested Activities can be found at:
Information for maintaining certification can be found at:

Nassau BOCES Regional Certification Office
George Farber Administrative Center
71 Clinton Road
Garden City, New York 11530-9195

Certification Facts

    • Valid for 5 years (no more time extensions)
    • May apply for 5 year reissue ONLY if all that is missing is the experience (this may only be done once)

Initial Reissuance as of September 1, 2013

      • Submit application and pay fee
      • Have less than 3 years of teaching experience
      • Complete 75 hours of acceptable professional development as prescribed in part 80-3.6 within the year prior to applying to the Department for the reissuance.
      • Re-take and achieve a satisfactory score on the NYS Teacher Certification Exam, Content Specialty Test in the area of your certificate within one year of applyingProfessional
      • Five year cycle (master’s degree, 12 graduate credits in subject or related area)
      • Three years teaching experience
      • Tests (NYSTCE, LAST, ATS-2, CST)
      • Fingerprinting
      • Mentoring (this comes from the district)
      • Autism workshop for Special Ed certifications

Definition of One Year Experience
Section 80-1.1 #47 Year of experience for permanent or professional certification means:

      1. a minimum of 180 days of full-time, continuous school experience in the subject or area of certification completed within a 12-month period;
      2. a minimum of 180 days of full-time, continuous school experience in the subject or area of certification completed in periods of no less than 90 days each within a 12-month period; or
      3. a minimum of 360 days of part-time, continuous school experience consisting of an average of 2.5 days per week in the subject or area of certification completed in periods of no less than 90 days each within a 12-month period

*** Experience as a permanent sub DOES count; experience as a TA DOES NOT.
*** ONLINE MASTERS: be careful! Make sure the educational institution is acceptable to the State. UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX IS NOT!


The 175 hour PD Requirement

This page is for teachers who have professional certification and will require 175 hours every five years in order to keep their certification current.
Dec 1, 2012 Post: I just found a fact sheet from NYSUT dated May, 2012. To view the PDF file, you will need to click the following link. You will then be brought to a page with another link that will open the NYSUT Fact Sheet.
Click here to link to the page with the NYSUT Fact Sheet link


      1. Be sure that Human Resources has a copy of your professional certificate
      2. Check your My Learning Plan account and make sure that it agrees with your records. Contact Human Resources if there are any discrepancies
      3. Check your TEACH account to be certain that your hours have been reported after June 30th of each year.  Contact Human Resources if there are any discrepancies

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I start accumulating my 175 hours?
There are two times a year that the State issues professional certification (February 1 and September 1). You may start to accumulate hours the JULY following the date of your certification.

Your professional certification is dated September 1, 2011 – NO HOURS WILL COUNT until AFTER July 1, 2012
Your professional certification is dated February 1, 2011 – NO HOURS WILL COUNT until AFTER July 1, 2012
In BOTH cases you have until June 30, 2017 to fulfill your 175 hour requirement.

Can I take the 175 hours before the 5 year period is over?
Yes, you may. There is no specific requirement that the teacher may only accumulate 35 hours per year to reach the 175 hours; however, the State recommends that teachers do not take an overwhelming amount of hours in any single year.

If I finish my 175 hours before the 5 year period is up, can I start accumulating hours for my next 5 year period?
No. If you take 300 hours in a five year period ONLY 175 hours will count. You start at 0 hours every 5 years.

What if I hold 2 professional certificates in different areas?
You are only required to complete 175 hours in each five-year period. The five year period begins after the FIRST Professional certificate is issued regardless of the date of the second certificate.

How many hours can I earn for inservice and graduate courses?
A district must use clock hours – 15 hours for each credit

Exactly what will Massapequa count toward my 175?

All after-school professional development in accordance with the Massapequa teachers’ contract
Courses and other learning opportunities delivered from many providers, such as institutions of higher education, teacher centers, BOCES, school districts and independent professional development service providers
Collegial Circle Activities (without a stipend)
District Committees: Maximum of 10 hours per year
Building Committees: Maximum of 5 hours per year
Service as a Cooperating Teacher: Maximum of 15 hours per year
Scoring: Maximum of 3 hours per year
Delivering District Based Professional Development offered through M-TRACT and not affiliated with any outside organization or institution of higher education: Maximum of 2 hours per year
District Initiative Activities – Turn Key: Maximum of 10 hours per year
Presenting at a conference: Maximum of 5 hours per year
National Board Certification: Up to 15 hours for Certification
Summer professional development workshops approved by the district – Harvard University Summer training: Actual professional development hours up to a maximum of 6 hours per day
Other activities approved by the Superintendent: As per hours attended

IMPORTANT: All requests for professional development hours must be approved by Human Resources through My Learning Plan

It is your responsiblity to keep a record of all professional development activities completed including those provided by the district.

%d bloggers like this: